Parenthood is like a journey into the unknown, and it helps to have a map and know what truly matters to pack for the trip. Parents are inundated with products they "need" for the baby, but we know from the research on couples, families and child development that the most important thing you can give your baby is a loving relationship between the two of you that supports your well-being and your new identities as parents.
Through listening to the stories of hundreds of parents for more than 20 years, the Becoming Us curriculum was developed to teach expecting couples the eight stages of the journey for mothers, fathers and partners — from pregnancy through the toddler years and beyond, and provide a map for couples to navigate these stages so their whole family can thrive.
Becoming Us is currently being offered as a weekend course, followed by a postpartum meet-up (date to be determined by participants).
Consider this course if you:
- Are pregnant or in the process of adoption or surrogacy
- Are in a committed relationship
- Are interested in learning skills with your partner to prevent the negative relationship patterns that can develop in the early years of parenthood
- Would like to build your parenting village and support network to support both of you before the baby arrives
This course is open to all couples regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
What to Expect
- The Becoming Us course will provide a safe space to go through communication exercises with your partner with expert facilitation and coaching by Nikki Lively, a Certified Emotionally Focused Couples therapist, and Rita DiRito, an experienced Birth and Postpartum Doula, to talk about the most common issues that come up in the transition to parenthood
- Couples will also gather together to pull collective wisdom and build support and community so that everyone leaves the course feeling better prepared to nurture themselves and their relationship once the baby arrives
- The postpartum meet-up will be a chance to introduce your baby to the group, and share additional wisdom gained so far in the parenting journey