Our one-year Fellowship selects up to eight Postdoctoral Fellows who seek advanced training in relational therapy and systemic thinking. Advanced training includes individual and group supervision, extensive mentorship, and education from world-renowned experts in individual, couple, and family therapy, all against the backdrop of a diverse and vibrant Chicago.
In this two-year postdoctoral fellowship, we select one fellow every other year, who preferably has completed a doctorate in clinical or counseling psychology or marriage and family therapy, to pursue research and receive clinical training at The Family Institute.
1. The Family Institute is World Renowned for Behavioral Health
The Family Institute at Northwestern University brings together the right partners to support children, adults, couples and families across the lifespan. As researchers, educators and therapists, we work with our clients and PARTNER TO SEE CHANGE.
We are at the forefront of important clinical research and family therapy education.
- We provide more than 90,000 hours of therapy annually
- Engage in important clinical research
- Are at the forefront of family therapy education
- Have a state-of-the-art 26,000 square-foot facility with 10 interviewing suites equipped with two-way mirrors and videotaping capability where students conduct therapy under the helpful eye of their supervisors and make recordings of their interviews for later supervision
- An education at Northwestern University
2. An Education fROM Northwestern University
Perennially ranked as a top 15 University, Northwestern University offers top-shelf education and delivers a brand name that carries its graduates throughout their career. Northwestern University is a:
- Major research institution with extraordinary facilities
- Member of the Big Ten Conference that plays host to many intercollegiate athletic events
- Beautiful campus located on the shores of Lake Michigan
3. Learn in a Culturally Diverse City
The headquarters of The Family Institute at Northwestern University is located in the thriving suburb of Evanston, Illinois. The Family Institute also has an ever-growing satellite office in downtown Chicago across from the beautiful Millennium Park. The rich diversity of the population of metropolitan Chicago provides a rich source of referrals for learning therapy.
4. Learn Our Leading Edge Therapy Approach
Our therapy is grounded in the concept of integration: that the approaches to therapy are best understood and used in a thoughtful and planful way. The senior faculty of The Family Institute have been at the forefront of psychotherapy integration for three decades. They published three seminal books on integration (Integrative Systemic Therapy (2017), Metaframeworks (2001) and Integrative Problem-Centered Therapy (1995)) and have been working with other faculty to unify these approaches in what is currently known as The Family Institute Perspective. Human problems are nested in a biopsychosocial system and can best be resolved by removing the constraints of that system. Family, couple and individual therapy may be warranted as well as attention to biology and the larger system such as the community.
The Postdoctoral Fellowship Program at The Family Institute is supported, in part, by gifts and grants from individuals, families and foundations. Your contribution will help us train the thought leaders of tomorrow and advance the science and practice of mental health care. To make a donation, or to learn more about naming a Fellowship through an endowment gift, please contact the Development office at 312-609-5300 or email email@example.com.