Tuition & Financial Aid

Tuition for the Counseling program is set by The Graduate School; therefore, for current tuition rates, see The Graduate School Web site at . Students who register for three or four tuition units per quarter are enrolled full-time and pay one "package tuition rate" for that quarter regardless of whether they register for three or four tuition units. The full-time "package rate" listed on TGS web site offers a lower price per course than the "per course" tuition rate.

Northwestern University scholarship and fellowship aid as well as University teaching assistantships are limited to doctoral students. However, a limited number of program-based assistantships at varying levels of support are available to qualified incoming students on a competitive basis. These assistantships are awarded on the basis of a variety of criteria, including demonstrated financial need and academic performance. Assistantships carry a service obligation and programmatic responsibilities. Assistantships can also carry a research obligation for those students wishing to gain more research experience and/or purse doctoral degrees. Students wishing to develop clinical experience working with diverse population can apply for scholarship opportunities. To apply for a Counseling program assistantships or scholarships, see the Application Procedures page of the website.

Master's students are eligible for all loan programs administered through The Graduate School and many of our students are on some type of loan arrangement. The staff in Student Financial Services determine loan eligibility and process loans for students in The Graduate School. For additional information see the Financial Aid section of The Graduate School Web site at

Some students work in non-University jobs while in the program but only on a part-time basis. The optimal job is one with a great deal of flexibility due to demanding course, program and field training requirements. Information about graduate positions as residence hall assistants or residence hall coordinators may be obtained from the Office of Undergraduate Residence Life. The undergraduate Residential Colleges offer positions as Assistant Masters to competitive graduate students, and applications may be obtained from the Office of Residential Colleges.