Anita Neuer Colburn is a Clinical Associate Professor, Clinical Training Director, and Director of University Supervision with Counseling@Northwestern, the online campus for the master’s in clinical mental health counseling with The Family Institute at Northwestern University (CACREP-accredited). She earned her Master’s in Rehabilitation Counseling at University of Alabama-Birmingham in 1998 and her Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision from Old Dominion University in 2011.
Dr. Neuer Colburn has provided counseling services either full or part time in private practice since 2001 and has provided clinical supervision for master’s students and licensure applicants since 2005. She has delivered over 100 conference-style presentations locally, regionally, nationally and internationally. She recently Chaired the CSI International Task Force for Online and Hybrid Chapters and serves as a CACREP Site Team Chair. Her research interests include LGBT advocacy, training for clinical supervisors, best practices in distance education and spiritual integration in counseling and supervision.
- distance education
- clinical supervision
- spiritual integration
- LGBTQ+ Advocacy
- helping students get published
Bayne, H. B., Harness, L., & Neuer Colburn, A. A. (2022, in press). Religious counselors and LGBTQ+ clients: A Q-Sort of values navigation. Counselor Education and Supervision.
Neuer Colburn, A. A. & Herrera, I. M. (2022, in press). Over the rainbow: A career development group for LGBTQ+ teens. Journal of College Access.
Kemer, G., Li, C., Attia, M., Chan, C., Chung, M., Li, D., Kemer, G., Li, C., Attia, M., Chan, C., Chung, M., Li, D., Neuer Colburn, A. A., Peters, H.,
Ramaswamy, A., & Sunal, Z. (2022, in press). Multicultural supervision in counseling: A content analysis of peer-reviewed literature, Counselor Education and Supervision.
- Practicum and Internship
- Group Counseling
- Counseling Methods
- Career Counseling
- Editorial Review Board Member, Journal of Counseling Sexology & Sexual Wellness: Research, Practice, and Education, June 2021 – June 2024
- Reviewer, Chi Sigma Iota International Excellence in Research Grants, 2021-2022
- Member, Advancement for Clinical Practice Committee, AMHCA, Jan 2021 – present
- Chair, Site Visit Teams, Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Programs (CACREP), 2016 – present. (Started as Team Member in 2012)